Sovereign Turntable MK4 (includes upgrade transformer)
The deck arm mount fits all Origin Live 240mm (9.5") tonearms. For more details on which arm geometries are the same as Origin Live and Rega, see ‘Compatible tonearm geometry’. Origin Live strongly recommends its own tonearms for optimum sound quality, not least because Sovereign was designed for these and there is a clear upgrade path. The deck can be supplied for use with other tonearms, but the cost of changing back to Origin Live arm compatibility at a later date is considerable. Even the £675 Silver tonearm outperforms most others at five times its price, whereas the £450 Onyx is an excellent entry-level design.
- The option to fit 12" arms is also available, but this is an either/or choice, rather than an addition. Customers can change over to the 12" option at a later date, but there’s a considerable saving if you order it with the deck.
Sovereign is a visually arresting turntable, beautifully hand finished with a polished black plinth and chrome suspension pods and accenting.
High Grade Parts
- High mass plinth using low resonance sandwich construction increases bass performance and overall definition
- Triple plinth decoupling helps isolate the deck from its surroundings
- Low resonance, high inertia platter is deeper than lower range models
- Platter decoupled from the bearing with an acoustically inert sub-platter
- Origin Live’s most highly toleranced bearing for the lowest possible friction
- Ultra rigid subchassis with unique centre point support and damping devices
- Specially damped, high mass motor housing
- Special high grade oil
Sovereign’s load-compensating power supply is the culmination of work done over several decades, and is designed to feed clean power to the motor across a wide range of temperatures. It uses highly sophisticated circuitry, higher grade components and a top quality transformer. Speed control is switched electronically between 33 rpm and 45 rpm.
Thanks to its unique design, there is nothing to go out-of-tune. A non-suspended design, it is simple to set up for years of fuss-free performance. VTA arm adjustment is convenient, with open access to the underside of the armboard.
450mm wide, 380mm deep, 160mm high
32kg (heavyweight platter is an additional 2.1kg)