GSP Elevator EXP c/w PSU1 power supply (MC step up)
The Elevator EXP Pre Preamplifier preamplifies the signal from a conventional output moving coil phono cartridge to moving magnet cartridge sensitivity. The signal is then fed to a moving magnet phono stage as pictured right.
It's better than a step up transformer because noise cannot be induced into it, and it's far more linear making for a better bass response.
It's the electronic equivalent of a moving coil step up transformer, or as moving coil enthusiasts abbreviate it:SUT. However, a step up transformer easily picks up hum and electrical disturbances — it also consumes some of the delicate signal current to magnetize its core. What's so bad about that? Read on.
There would be nothing wrong at all if moving coil cartridges put out a flat frequency response, but being magnetic, they have a rising output - they output 100 times more 20kHz treble than they do 20Hz bass. That makes transformer design difficult — it's never going to perform at its best.
Enter the electronic solution - the Elevator EXP. It uses a technique from our Ultra-Linear "toolbox" - this time as extended open-loop frequency response, and that's something usually only available with tube amplification, but tubes can't do such low level signals.
Therefore it's hardly surprising that it does the tube sound, but without all the problems you get with tubes — it's an excellent addition for a tube phono preamp to be able to use moving coil.
But use the Elevator EXP with one of our great moving magnet phono stages (as illustrated above) and you're in for a treat! We recommend you use it with our Reflex M, Revelation M or Era Gold V phono preamps — and so do a number of reviewers!
The Elevator EXP also features 7 different preset cartridge load impedances easily selected on the front panel.
- Seven different preset cartridge load impedances at your fingertips - no fiddly adjustments!
- Tube like extended open-loop frequency response from our Ultra-Linear "toolbox"
- Inherent reduced vinyl click and pop characteristic
- Rock steady sound stage and truly 3D performance
- Solid-state reliability
- Input range: 0.15mV to 0.8mV
- Output (for input range): 2mV to 10mV, suitable for a moving magnet phono stage input.
- Maximum input: 378mV rms (an incredibly large overload margin!)
- Maximum output: 4.914V rms
- Gain: 22dB (13) <10Hz to 917kHz (-3dB points)
- Input impedance: 23, 30, 100, 840, 1000, 5100 and 47000 Ohms
- Output (driving/source) impedance: 300 Ohm
- Recommended load impedance: 47k Ohms phono stage preamp input
- Noise at output: -99dB CCIR Q-pk
- Distortion: 0.02%
- Frequency response: <10Hz to 917kHz (-3dB points)
- Channel balance: 0.2dB
- Channel separation: 64dB
- Size: (approx.) W: 107 x H: 50 x D: 180 (mm) inc. jacks
Specifications subject to alteration without notice in keeping with our continuous improvement policy.