Soundsmith Hyperion Cartridge
We are not permitted to offer this brand of cartridge outside the UK.
The truest testament to the quality and performance of any audio component is what others in that industry have to say about it. Reviews below.
The HYPERION is the cartridge of choice for the most esteemed audio equipment manufacturers. Why? Because when they exhibit their gear at Hi-Fi shows, they want their turntable, amplifier or speaker systems to sound the very best that they can! Peter Ledermann‘s radical design utilizes an actual “cactus spine” for the cantilever. The naturally tapered shape, stacked columnar fibers and desiccated resin damping fit the exact parameters of the perfect cantilever: Low mass, extreme rigidity, internal damping, and tremendous strength. Also available in a Dual Compliance Design for older Linear Tracking turntables as the HYPERION LT. The Hyperions are offered with a choice of CL or OC-CL stylus. Each one hand crafted by Peter Ledermann – Made in the USA.
Rebuild Price? ~ Less than 20% of MSRP – The Hyperion features an industry first: A 10 year free retipping service for stylus wear to the original owner.
Long term investment due to rebuild
“In my opinion, the new Hyperion is without question the finest magnetic cartridge made today. Looking forward to the next few weeks of final break in.” https://www.sound-smith.com/testimonials/hyperion
A new review of the Hyperion (Norway): http://www.audiophile.no/nb-no/item/2139-soundsmith-hyperion
A new review of the Hyperion **via Google translate: http://www.audiophile.no/nb-no/item/2139-soundsmith-hyperion
Analogplanet.com: Sound-Smith Hyperion Cartridge Produced Love At First Listen click for review
- Cartridge Type: Fixed Coil
- Output: High
- Available As Dual Coil Mono: Yes
- Stylus: Contact Line Nude, 0.100mm SQ
- Radius of curvature
- Selected Diamond shapes: CL or Optimized (OCL)
- Cantilever: Hand formed/treated selected Cactus “Spine”
- Recommended tracking force: 1.8 to 2.2 grams
- Effective tip mass: 0.30 mg
- Compliance: 10 μm/mN (low compliance) (LT) | 12 μm/mN vertical | 7 μm/mN horizontal
- Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz ± 1.0 dB
- Channel separation (stereo only): 1000 Hz >36 dB (LT: > 34dB), 50-15,000 >25 dB
- Channel difference: <0.5 dB (Stereo) <1.0 dB (Mono)
- Output Voltage: ≥0.4 mV
- DC Resistance (DCR): 10-11 Ω each channel
- Coil: 2.75 mH each channel
- Suggested Preamp Gain: 58-64 dB
- Soundsmith Recommends: MCP2 Variable Loading Preamp
- Cartridge weight: 10.25 grams
- Loading: ≥ 470 Ω