Sovereign MK4 & Sovereign Special – Features
The “Sovereign Special” Platter
The Sovereign Special differs from the Sovereign MK4 by virtue of its remarkably upgraded multi-layer platter. As a rule, the closer a part is to the cartridge the more it affects the performance. You can’t get much closer to the cartridge than the platter and this is where a lot of the magic happens in the highest performing decks. This particular version of the Multilayer platter features some of the key components present in the top of the range Voyager turntables. The result is a huge increase in detail, dynamics and clarity. Music comes alive in a way rarely heard even among the highest end decks. This version of the Sovereign is a highly worthwhile acquisition over the standard Sovereign.
Sovereign MK4 Standard Multi-layer Platter
Better specified than decks lower in the Origin Live range, the Sovereign boasts improved decoupling of the main bearing and armboard. The previous MK3-2 version introduced a complex multilayer platter designed to dissipate energy in the most effective manner possible. This proved to be a huge upgrade and resulted in more outstanding comments from the press.
The plinth is high mass and uses systematic decoupling design throughout.
Sovereign’s load-compensating power supply is the culmination of work carried out over decades, and is designed to feed clean power to the motor across a wide range of temperatures.
Sovereign is hand-built in Britain to extremely high standards.
Sovereign is a visually arresting turntable. Its unique styling is purposeful yet elegant, beautifully hand finished with a polished black plinth and chrome suspension pods and accenting.
High Grade Parts
- High mass plinth using low resonance sandwich construction increases bass performance and overall definition
- Triple plinth decoupling helps isolate the deck from its surroundings
- Low resonance, high inertia platter is deeper than lower range models
- Platter decoupled from the bearing with an acoustically inert sub-platter
- Origin Live’s most highly toleranced bearing for the lowest possible friction
- Ultra rigid sub-chassis with unique centre point support and damping devices
- Specially damped, high mass motor housing
- Special high grade oi
Thanks to its unique design, there is nothing to go out-of-tune. A non-suspended design, it is simple to set up for fuss-free performance. VTA arm adjustment is convenient, with open access to the underside of the armboard.
450mm wide, 380mm deep, 160mm high
32kg (heavyweight platter is an additional 2.1kg)